Photo of Plaque A28: This plaque honours Mr Harold Boas
Member Centenary Committee
Committee group
Recreation and amusements
Year of death
Plaque number
Dedicated by
Kings Park Board on 29 September 1929
More information

Biography abstract:

Harold Boas (27/9/1883 - 17/9/1980), younger brother to Lionel Boas was born in Adelaide and was educated at Prince Alfred College. He was indentured to an architect 1899-1902 and became a member of the South Australian Institute of Architects.

When he came to Western Australia in 1905, he transferred his Institute membership to this State. After working with several different architects he joined Oldham, Boas, Ednie-Brown and partners.

From 1914, Mr Boas was a member of the Town Planning Association, Chairman (1928-30) of the State Government's Metropolitan Planning Commission and inaugural member of the State division of the Town Planning Institute of Australia.

Some well known buildings he designed are: Nedlands Park Hotel, Emu Brewery, Adelphi Hotel, Gledden Building and London Court (1937) as well as the Edith Cowan Clock. He also designed aircraft hangars and bulk wheat storage silos.

During WWI, although Jewish, he was involved in YMC dealings with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF), sending cards to soldiers and their families and, whilst in London, visiting wounded in hospital and arranging gifts and loans.

Mr Boas represented South Ward on Perth City Council (1914-16; 1926-42; 1944). He founded the Young Liberal League of WA in 1911 and also founded the anti socialist Argonauts Civic and Political Club in 1925.

He was president of WA branch of the United Nations Association and represented Australia and the Council of Australian Jewry at the UN Conference in Bangkok in 1950.

Harold Boas was founder and life member of the Temple of David. He was awarded OBE for his service to town planning and the Jewish Community in Perth. Harold Boas Gardens in West Perth are named for him.

Mr Harold Boas was a member of the Western Australian Centenary Committee (Recreation and amusements group) in 1929.

Back to search results Tips and disclaimers

Get directions